Be kind to your Mum and the earth this Mother’s Day: Our top ten ethical gift ideas
On Sunday 6 March many mums across the UK will be showered with gifts, cards or perhaps treated to breakfast in bed, a lovely day out with the family or a nice lunch that they’ve not had to make. To mark this celebration of all the fantastic mummies out there, we thought we would share some of our favourite Mother’s Day gifts that are not only lovely to receive, but are also kind to the environment. It’s not just your mother that deserves a bit of tender loving care and appreciation.
- Dedicate a tree – choose a wood
We love this one! Why not find a wood near to where your mum lives so that you can visit together and watch the woodland thrive from year to year. A wood also provides a perfect location for a Mother’s Day stroll. Visit the Woodland Trust to find out which woods you can dedicate a tree at.
- Rainforest seed (organic) bracelet
This beautiful, stylish bracelet has been made by skilled artisan women from rural communities in Northern Peru. Visit the coolearth website to find out more about how your purchasing power can help to protect both rainforests and the communities that live within them.
- Recycled necklace
Why buy a normal silver necklace when you can purchase one that’s made from ethically sourced and recycled silver, and still looks as good as new. The Ethical Superstore offers many other recycled jewellery options.
- Coffee sack shopping bag
Shoppers now have to pay for the luxury of taking their purchases home in a plastic bag, which is why lots of people are now buying and using bags for life. We love this stylish shopping bag made from recycled coffee sacks. We’re sure your mum would appreciate one of these from the Protect the Planet website. What a very useful gift!
- Woven rubbish bags purse
What a great alternative to sending plastic bags to landfill. We think these purses are fantastic. Peruse the Freshcargo website for other fair-trade and recycled gift ideas.
- Recycled hemp flipflops
Although it’s currently cold outside, summer is just around the corner, promise. Your Mum would look and feel super cool in these pretty hemp flipflops which have recycled tyre soles. Who knew that a car’s old shoes could become your mum’s new shoes?
- Ethical flowers
If your mum is a fan of fresh flowers why not rethink where you buy these from. Bunches.co.uk work hard to protect the environment by using sustainable resources. Visit their website to find out more.
- Recycled glass vase
We absolutely love these elegant, rustic handmade recycled vases from Cox & Cox. Old materials really can be made into beautiful new products that you would be proud to display in your home.
- Fairtrade chocolates
Treat your mum to some guilt free, 100% organic, fair-trade chocolate which can be bought from a number of supermarkets. The benefits to the environment, health and rural communities are outlined on the Rawr website.
- Recycled wine bottle glasses
Old wine bottles have been transformed so that wine can be served from them. And we think that they look super smart too. Lots more gift ideas can be found on the protecttheplanet website.
- Desert island risks: Henderson Island
- Don't Discriminate Against Ugly Veg!
- Hap-pie Pie Week
- Be kind to your Mum and the earth this Mother’s Day: Our top ten ethical gift ideas
- Banana Bread recipe: Use up overripe bananas
- How to be less wasteful on Pancake Day
- Inspiration: Building a Bottle Bird Feeder
- Recycling small batteries - a problem with human motivation
- Upside down tomato-a-go-go - Demonstrating rubbish as a resource
- How to make a potato battery
- Saving the green way
- Greening up for grown ups
- The man drawer recycling challenge
- Nine ways to make re-use and recycling fun for kids
- Ten ways to re-use plastic bags
- Ten ways to a greener summer holiday
- Circular Economy
- Ten ways to a greener festival experience
- Be green this Easter
- Love doesn't have to cost the earth on Valentine's Day
- A Green Halloween