Hap-pie Pie Week
A whole week of the year dedicated to pies, what’s not to like? Pies come in all sorts of shapes and sizes: thick pastry, thin pastry, puff pastry, mash topped, meat fillings, vegetable fillings or both. Handmade or processed there’s a pie to suit pretty much anyone! My favourite type of pie is a handmade pie - unique and ready to satisfy my taste buds, plus I love to experiment.
Use your creativity and create your own pie by clearing your fridge of leftover meat and vegetables. You can also try out some carving techniques and add decorative pastry shapes.Images are playing in the back of my mind where a once clean kitchen is engulfed by a haze of flour! Feeling inspired to bake? Remember it’s not how it looks it’s all about the taste and it will taste so much better when it hasn’t cost much to make.
Follow my recipe for a quick and easy Vegetable Pie, great for using up roast dinner leftovers and easily adaptable:
Cooked vegetables such as broccoli, leeks, cauliflower, potato
Your choice of sauce (cheese, tomato or gravy…)
Method:Preheat oven to 190 degrees.
Turn your pie dish upside down and press lightly onto the roll out pastry sheet. Using a sharp knife carefully cut out the lid of your pie and brush with a little beaten egg.
Why not experiment with the sauce and / or vegetable choice? You could even sprinkle a bit of cheese on top of your pastry. YUM!
- Desert island risks: Henderson Island
- Don't Discriminate Against Ugly Veg!
- Hap-pie Pie Week
- Be kind to your Mum and the earth this Mother’s Day: Our top ten ethical gift ideas
- Banana Bread recipe: Use up overripe bananas
- How to be less wasteful on Pancake Day
- Inspiration: Building a Bottle Bird Feeder
- Recycling small batteries - a problem with human motivation
- Upside down tomato-a-go-go - Demonstrating rubbish as a resource
- How to make a potato battery
- Saving the green way
- Greening up for grown ups
- The man drawer recycling challenge
- Nine ways to make re-use and recycling fun for kids
- Ten ways to re-use plastic bags
- Ten ways to a greener summer holiday
- Circular Economy
- Ten ways to a greener festival experience
- Be green this Easter
- Love doesn't have to cost the earth on Valentine's Day
- A Green Halloween