Waste Batteries and Accumulators Regulation
The Waste Batteries and Accumulators Regulations were introduced in the UK in May 2009 with the aim of reducing the amount of used batteries ending up in landfill.
Who is affected ?
Organisations will be affected if they carry out any of the following activities:
- Manufacture batteries
- Import batteries or products containing batteries
- Sell more than 32 kg batteries to end users per year (excludes batteries sold within equipment)
What do you need to do ?
Producers that place more than 1 tonne of portable batteries onto the UK market must:
- Join a compliance scheme
- Complete data submissions detailing the amount of batteries they have placed onto the UK market
- Pay a share towards the costs of battery recycling
- Register directly with the appropriate environment agency
- Complete an annual data submission detailing the amount of batteries they have placed onto the UK market
Distributors that sell more than 32 kg batteries to end users per year must:
- Offer in store collection of portable batteries
- Publicise at point of sale that a battery recycling point is available in store
If you think your organisation may be affected by the Waste Batteries Regulations and you would like some guidance or advice please call our friendly team at Valpak on 03450 682 572 or complete our enquiry form.