Packaging waste regulations
The Producer Responsibility Obligations (Packaging Waste) Regulations were introduced in 1997 with the aim of reducing the amount of packaging waste ending up in landfill.
Who is affected ?
Organisations will be affected by the Packaging Waste Regulations if they meet all of the following criteria:
- Annual UK turnover exceeds £2 million
- Handle more than 50 tonnes of packaging/packaging materials
- Own the packaging/packaging materials that they handle
- Perform a relevant activity on any of the packaging handled
What do you need to do ?
Organisations affected by the Packaging Waste Regulations will need to:
- Register with the appropriate environment agency. This can be done either directly with the environment agency or they can join Valpak's Packaging Compliance Scheme
- Complete an annual data submission detailing the amount of packaging they have handled
- Calculate how much packaging waste they must pay towards getting recycled
- Purchase recycling evidence notes known as PRNs (packaging waste recovery notes)
If you think your organisation may be affected by these regulations and you would like guidance or advice, please contact the friendly team at Valpak on 03450 682 572 or complete our enquiry form.