The Registration, Evaluation, Authorisation and Restriction of Chemical Substances (REACH) Regulations were introduced in 2007 with the aim of protecting users' health and the environment through better understanding of chemical substances.
Who is affected ?
Organisations will be affected by REACH if they:
- Manufacture or import chemical substances or mixtures
- Produce or import goods which contain chemicals e.g. toys, electronic components
- Produce or import goods which contain chemicals that are released during their use e.g. scented candles, nicotine patches, aerosols
- Process chemicals or create mixtures for end use
- Use chemicals in the workplace
What do you need to do ?
Manufacturers and importers must register each substance manufactured or imported in quantities of more than 1 tonne per year. They must also prepare a technical file about each substance and notify users about the safe use of each substance.
Users of chemicals have a range of obligations which primarily relate to ensuring the safe use of the chemical product as well as providing information and documents to further downstream customers.
If you think your organisation may be affected by the REACH Regulations and you would like some guidance or advice please call our friendly team at Valpak on 03450 682 572 or complete our enquiry form.