With the introduction of mandatory carbon reporting legislation in the UK for listed organisations and increasing corporate social responsibility (CSR) pressures, carbon measurement, reporting and reduction is fast becoming a strategic priority for many organisations.
What is carbon management ?
Carbon management is centered around the measurement, management and mitigation of the six greenhouse gases (GHGs) covered by the Kyoto Procotol. Typical activities involved in carbon management include:
- Define objectives i.e. do you want to measure the carbon footprint for your organisation or for a particular product
- Define scope of measurement i.e. direct emissions, indirect emissions or both
- Collection and analysis of data to identify opportunities to reduce carbon emissions
- Setting targets for carbon reduction
- Raising employee awareness
- Offsetting your carbon emissions
What are the benefits ?
The benefits you can gain from effective carbon management include:
- On-going cost savings
- Improved environmental performance
- Illustrate the sustainability of your products
- Positive PR opportunities
- Certification to carbon standards such as PAS 2050, PAS 2060 and ISO 14064
- Ensures compliance with existing carbon legislation
- Ensures you are prepared for future carbon legislation