Extended Producer Responsibility
With consumers placing an increased focus on sustainability and environment, many organisations are looking at ways they can minimise their impact on the environment. Extended Producer Responsibility (EPR) can help an organisation to demonstrate a deeper commitment to reducing its environmental impact.
What is Extended Producer Responsibility ?
EPR is the concept of brand owners and manufacturers taking environmental responsibility for their products and the associated packaging when they become waste. This can involve activities such as:
- Creating take back programmes
- Arranging waste collections, recycling or other suitable disposal
- Designing products for re-use or recyclability
A big part of EPR also involves engaging and encouraging the public to take responsible action with regard to an organisation's products.
What are the benefits ?
The benefits to be gained from EPR include:
- Generation of positive PR opportunities
- Improved environmental credentials
- Competitive advantage over others in your industry
- Can create jobs in local communities
- Strengthened customer loyalty