Rubbish is everything that you throw away or no longer have a use for.
Rubbish is anything from an empty crisp packet to a broken toy.
Rubbish can be solid, liquid or gas.
Sometimes people use the word 'waste' when talking about rubbish.
People usually talk about three different sorts of rubbish:
- Domestic - rubbish from households
- Industrial and commercial - rubbish from factories, offices, shops and schools
- Hazardous - rubbish which needs to be disposed of in a careful way to prevent pollution. For example, chemicals used to make paint
Rubbish is made up of different substances and materials:
- Biodegradable rubbish breaks down naturally in the environment and eventually disappears e.g. left-over food and paper
- Non-biodegradable rubbish does not break down naturally in the environment e.g. drinks cans and plastic bottles